The Worship Associates program at Valley UU is a reflection of our congregation’s commitment to shared ministry. Recognizing that the social, experiential, theological and cultural groundings of our community are broader than any one person can faithfully represent, our minister works with a team of 8 to 10 Worship Associates.
The program provides an opportunity for laypeople to play a leadership role in our Sunday morning worship services and enjoy the deep satisfaction of contributing to community worship.
Worship associates are expected to:
- Be flexible and work in a collaborative relationship with the minister and other service leaders
- Help plan worship services
- Share in leading the worship service
- Grow in worship leadership presence
During monthly meetings with the minister, we discuss and consider aspects of our worship service, including process and liturgy, often based on a common reading. We discuss what is working or not working, how to be more welcoming and inclusive, and consider feedback from the congregation.
- Self select Sundays to assist with the services throughout the year
- Arrive at the congregation early enough to help make sure the sanctuary is prepared for the service
- Connect with the minister prior to the Sunday worship service to help plan and discuss the associate’s role
- Attend Worship Associate meetings
- Attend Sunday services regularly throughout the year